POSITION DESCRIPTION: Medical Assistant
Reports to: Medical Director
Hours: 1.0 FTE (40 hours per week)
Salary: Competitive salary, DOE.
Benefits: Full medical and dental benefits for employee, short-term disability insurance, generous paid vacation and PTO, EAP, 403(b)
ABOUT QUEST CENTER FOR INTEGRATIVE HEALTH:
Quest Center is a nonprofit healthcare clinic that provides multidisciplinary and integrative healthcare in a community-based setting to all people, regardless of income. We are licensed by the state of Oregon as a mental health and substance abuse program. We believe that people thrive when their physical, emotional, spiritual, and social needs are effectively met. To this aim, Quest Center offers a wide range of programs and services for individuals to draw from when creating their personalized treatment plan. Such services are offered in a manner that creates a functional community among our clients and sustains their continued healing from both physical and mental illness. All of our programs share the same philosophy, mission, and values, while honoring the diversity of its participants.
We work to assist our clients to sustain lifestyle changes that support healing, and to effectively strengthen those diagnosed with chronic or life-challenging illnesses, including HIV/AIDS, mental health disorders, chemical dependency, and cancer. We are proud to be recognized for our service delivery to the LGBTQI community.
RESPONSIBILITIES (to include but not limited to):
- Perform phlebotomy, injections, urine dipsticks and other in-house tests, TB tests, and processing of labs; take vitals, update patient histories and medication lists, and room patients. Prepare treatment rooms; clean treatment rooms between patients.
- Client services: Provide support for the patients and direct their care as indicated, including providing instructions for lab work, processing and recording medication refills, and facilitating communication between practitioners and patients.
- Charting/documentation: obtain all necessary information (lab work) for patients at the time of their appointment; EMR charting according to HIPAA compliancy; document cancellations and no shows, coordinating with the front desk; prepare referrals and make sure the referring doctor has all appropriate chart notes and labs.
- Phone/fax duties: triage incoming calls throughout the day working to ensure acute cases are prioritized; relay phone messages; screen new patients; call in/fax prescriptions; fax orders for blood work for patients to prepare for upcoming appointment; schedule phone calls with other doctors or patients as needed. FAX, mail or email other documents as necessary. Copy, scan or upload documents as necessary.
- Prepare charts for patient visits.
- Assist with copying portions of medical history intake into appropriate section of EMR.
- Assist in preparation of reports.
- Check incoming mail, email, and phone messages; triage and document appropriately.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies, supplements, laboratory test kits and other supplies; stock treatment rooms; order medical supplies; keep treatment rooms neat and sanitary.
- Maintain laboratory supplies, track biohazards and waste disposal, ensure OSHA and CLIA compliance.
- Correspondence: send out letters indicating negative pap smears and mammograms, or phone patient; write letters of medical necessity for supplements and labs for insurance companies.
- Complete prior authorizations when necessary.
- Check lab benefits when necessary.
- Scheduling: Assist with patient scheduling, follow-up on no-shows, filling cancellation slots, etc.
- Develop spreadsheets and other systems for maintaining logs [of x-rays received and returned, labs ordered, supplies, and other items.]
- Communicate with laboratory representatives.
- Communicate with pharmaceutical companies and maintain supply of sample medications.
- Look up ICD-10 billing codes covered by certain insurance plans.
- Assist with internet research regarding clinical issues such as medication or diagnostic concerns.
- Assist with development of handouts for patients.
- Maintain spreadsheet for directory of professional contacts.
- Assist in developing or updating forms and documents.
- Communicate with labs, pharmacies, other clinics, etc when indicated.
- Coordinate stat referrals for that same day.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service/verbal skills in person and on phone, good writing & organizational skills.
- Phlebotomy skills.
- Interest in Naturopathic, Osteopathic & Integrative Medicine.
- Professional, mature, calm demeanor.
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality requirements regarding client and business information.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail and efficiency.
- Strong work ethic including punctuality/reliability.
- 2+ years prior medical assistant experience preferred; recent graduates will be considered.
- Knowledge of keyboarding, data entry and basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office products.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records including electronic scheduling.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers and clients of diverse ethnic backgrounds and religious views, political affiliations, cultural backgrounds, lifestyles, and sexual orientations while treating each individual with respect and dignity.
- Must be able to bend, twist, and lift at least 30 pounds.
Only resumes with a cover letter explaining your interest in Quest Center will be seriously considered. Cover letters may be in the content of your email or included with your resume as a single document. In the subject line, reference “Medical/Administrative Assistant.” Please submit your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are unable to accept telephone inquiries regarding this position. Quest Center for Integrative Health is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals of color and those who identify as LGBTQ+ strongly encouraged to apply.